Tuesday 20 May 2014

My Diagnosis

At the beginning of this year I was, without pomp or ceremony, finally given a diagnosis to the mental health problems I have had throughout my adult life.  The diagnosis is that I have bi-polar disorder.  This makes me one of 250,000[1] people in Britain who have this illness. 
   
Am I glad to have a name to what I have had to go through?  Well, it doesn’t make too much difference to me.  I sort of knew I had it, or something similar, so the diagnosis was more of an ‘of course, that’s what it is’- but it does change the way I talk about it with other people.  Rather than say vaguely that I have mental health problems I can clearly say that I have bi-polar, and that offers up a more concentrated understanding of what it really is that I have to deal with.
   
The name identifies but the illness is still there.  I still have to deal with tiredness, part of the depressive side of the illness, and I still have to be vigilant and alert when I take part in intense activities, such as being in shows, but with all the work the mental health teams, both in England and in Wales, have done, and still doing, with me I have managed to overcome most of my problems.
   
I want to take the time to mention the Early Intervention Team and how they have helped me.  When I was eighteen and had my first episode of the illness there was no Early Intervention Team to help young people to stay healthy after their first encounter with psychosis.  When I ran away from University that year I stopped taking the drugs completely ending up dealing with severe depression for a year or two on my own.
   
When I had my episode while in my second year at Uni the Early Intervention Team had been newly created and though I was a bit older than who they would normally take because I would have been eligible for it when I had my first episode before they existed they thought it no problem for them to help this time around.  Since then they’ve been there when I needed them- sometimes weekly, sometimes once a month- I’ve found them to be a vital assert to the building and living my life with this illness.
   
It’s great to be living in a country of scientific advances that can supply Lithium to those like me who need it, the great thing being, as long as funding is rewarded to research, treatments for these illnesses will only get better.
   
What helps a lot for me is keeping active, seeing friends, writing scripts and doing shows.  It all stops me from allowing myself to relapse into depression but also trying to keep a regular routine helps me to keep grounded and stops me from flying off into a manic state.
   
I am hoping to do a show about mental illness because although awareness is getting better it’s like any serious illness: one can never be too aware, especially if you are undiagnosed and you think you may have an illness.
   
Nobody should feel as if they cannot talk about their own health and thankfully there are plenty of decent websites ready to give advice.  If you do think you are ill then the best thing to do is to see your GP who’ll be in a better position to offer you help; the second best thing to do is to educate yourself about mental illnesses, and this is advice to everyone reading not just those who may have an illness.
   
I’ve been fortunate but I’ve also worked hard at understanding how my body and my mind works.  One of the important things I’ve learnt is to seize the day when you can because you don’t know when you’ll have days when you can’t.
  
 So I have bi-polar but I look forward to the day when I don’t have to take any sort of medication for it.  It gives me something to work towards, which is itself hope. 

Below is a short list of videos that I've enjoyed and found interesting if not a little bit useful 


Now this is where you hit a paywall- well not exactly a paywall more like a moat you can swim across- but what I'm saying is that if you enjoyed this blog and my previous work than you can help support me by going on Patreon.com and search for Alistair David Todd-Poet. 

I only ask for the lowest possible donation ($1) so that you don't have to wake up in the middle of the night sweating about bills and tax.  Two reasons I ask you of this is 1) It would mean a lot to me and 2) I can buy more books. 


Another way you can support me is by buying one of the literary books that I write.  The links are on the side of the website, if you are reading this from a mobile phone than switch to web mode to see it.

You can even message me with recommendations of books I should cover that I haven't already, I'd be really interested in what you have to offer me.  In the meantime stay safe and all the best to you.
 


[1] http://www.pendulum.org/bpfacts.html

No comments:

Post a Comment